
I had no idea what it would be like
to cuddle you close
or be cuddled by you.
To hold your little hand in mine
and watch it grow.
To see you take your first steps
and hear your little voice
change from that of a 2 year old
to that of a quite eloquent little 5 year old.
I could not imagine
the attention span you would have.
That you could listen
all day
to the same book
but already have it memorized
after the first reading.
I didn't know that you
would be a fabulous little artist
that you would be happy
spending your days
with nothing but a notepad and a pencil.
Or that you would sit by my side
day in and day out
as we took care of a little baby
not meant for this Earth.
And that you would comprehend that.
And love her with all of your heart. Still.
When you were just two.
But then, when you were four,
you would welcome
another baby sister
who you would love with all of your heart
and want to name smileyface
or orange minge.
And who you would make giggle.
Like no one else could.
How could I know
that you would love to dance,
to sing, to pet every dog you see?
Or that you would need
to sit by my side
every morning
and drink your milk
before your day could really start.
And you would have
computer skills unmatched
by anyone your age.
You would make your
Daddy so proud.
And that you would
love to cook.
love to cook.
To go to starbucks
and color with mommy.
That you would be so happy
in those little moments.
I didn't know
that I could look
at anyone
and love them
so
much.
With my whole heart.
You are a very cool
fascinating
smart
beautiful
confident
brown-eyed girl.
Five years ago I had no idea
what I had been missing all those years before.
Happy 5th Birthday my daughter!


1 comment:
omg steph that is so sweet you should frame that for her
Post a Comment